What's your opinion of Bikers splitting traffic?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What do you think about Bikers who do this?

• Complete *******!

Votes: 35 32.7%
    • Whatever, indifferent…

Votes: 38 35.5%
    • Should be legally allowed to open car door and take them OUT!

Votes: 34 31.8%

• Total voters

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.
    It seems like some on here have what I call 'truck driver mentality'; Your drivers liciense permits you to drive on our highways- It does not give you permission to try to ennforce any law or to attempt to control how others may drive.

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    Here, let me help you...

Yes, i do speed, because I have been stopped and ticketed for it, but I do not intentionally speed or decide where I need to go is more important than other people getting there safely as well.

There is a difference between lapses in judgement or attention and deliberately breaking the law and "sorry if it angers people".

So you accidentally speed? Not saying you shouldn't; I do it all the time. I usually stay 5mph over the speed limit. But you seem to be taking a black and white approach on this about not choosing which laws are ok to break and which aren't. It follows that one might say that running a red light = speeding = lane splitting. They're all illegal.

vern10mm

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2011
    Kenner, LA
    So you accidentally speed? Not saying you shouldn't; I do it all the time. I usually stay 5mph over the speed limit. But you seem to be taking a black and white approach on this about not choosing which laws are ok to break and which aren't. It follows that one might say that running a red light = speeding = lane splitting. They're all illegal.

I am saying there is a distinct difference between trying to follow the laws and failing because no one is perfect and sayinf "F-it, that law does not apply to me because I ride a Harley and do not want to sweat."

In that regard it is the definition of black and white.

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    I am saying there is a distinct difference between trying to follow the laws and failing because no one is perfect and sayinf "F-it, that law does not apply to me because I ride a Harley and do not want to sweat."

In that regard it is the definition of black and white.

But I (and many others) say F*** it when it comes to the speed limit. I would risk saying far more accidents/deaths are caused by speeding that lane splitting (although one can easily argue that the number of people speeding >>> the number of people lane-splitting).

I see what you're saying, though. However, asking people to have respect/compassion for others (especially while driving in traffic) isn't likely to happen.

vern10mm

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2011
    Kenner, LA
    But I (and many others) say F*** it when it comes to the speed limit. I would risk saying far more accidents/deaths are caused by speeding that lane splitting (although one can easily argue that the number of people speeding >>> the number of people lane-splitting).

Then you and others fall into that same group of inconsiderate and self-righteous people who feel they are better than others. (That was not a shot, just a very honest and direct statement)

I see what you're saying, though. However, asking people to have respect/compassion for others (especially while driving in traffic) isn't likely to happen.

I agree, but that does not make it right.

Why is it OK for you to break the law and lane split, but not alright for someone to break the law and change lanes without signaling and you subsequently have to lay it down? In their own right, both are "minor" and often touted "unnecessary laws", but the combination of the two caused an accident. Had both people been following the law, the accident never would have happened. Actually, if even one would have, it would not have happened, but why should he, if you do not?

Oddly enough, i have driven in several different countries that have no traffic laws, and when i say no, I mean not even a single one. In my limited time there, I did not see a single accident, but then again, they also did not have insurance either, so I guess it was each man for himself in the truest sense.

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    I agree, but that does not make it right.

Why is it OK for you to break the law and lane split, but not alright for someone to break the law and change lanes without signaling and you subsequently have to lay it down? In their own right, both are "minor" and often touted "unnecessary laws", but the combination of the two caused an accident. Had both people been following the law, the accident never would have happened. Actually, if even one would have, it would not have happened, but why should he, if you do not?

Oddly enough, i have driven in several different countries that have no traffic laws, and when i say no, I mean not even a single one. In my limited time there, I did not see a single accident, but then again, they also did not have insurance either, so I guess it was each man for himself in the truest sense.

Reminds me of riding a cab around in Armenia. That was a harrowing experience. There isn't "left" or "right" lanes to make sense of the flow of traffic. There is just "road" and you can do whatever the hell you want. They do have a test you're supposed to take, but the country is so poor and corrupt, you just go hand the guy some money and you've got your license.

That was a good point about the non-signalling lane change and it's similarity to lane splitting. Like I said, I only ever did it twice in my 3+ years of riding. That was in Florida, though-- to be honest I didn't, and still don't, know what the Florida laws are regarding it. I think it is inherently dangerous, but so is a motorcycle. In places where it's legal I suppose it is far less of an issue because it is an expected occurrence. Places like LA with driver unaccustomed to that behavior on a daily basis add additional hazard to it.

Personally, I wouldn't do it where it's illegal to, but I don't want to door check someone for it when they do.

Ironman26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Patterson, La
    Oh we have some of those too. Just got into Golf guru's and have bought all sorts of pants and sweatshirts to match. Best thing is that one of them doesn't buy anything and got his clubs from a pawn shop. He's the most consistant out of all of them! lol

Yes, folks are funny :)
    aaaaaammmmmmmmeeeeeeennnnnnnnn!!!!!

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Ride in the heat is what you said. Not sit in the heat. Two totally different things. When riding I stay cool enough to be on the road. Sitting on the asphalt for two hours is not in your words "Riding" This is how I see your knowledge base and this is not an insult Hitman...Nutrition knowledge yes...gun knowledge somewhat...motorcycle knowledge...not so much. Riding a Harley and owning an absolute piece of crap Katana is like shooting a Nagant and owning a Hi Point. Experience with those two weapons wouldn't make you much of a gun expert would it? That's how you are viewed after displaying what you have experience riding in the motorcycle world. You've only scratched the surface of riding and all that is required to really ride a motorcycle. Feeling the suspension do its job when correctly set. Seeing tires that grip you and your bike at max lean angle on a patch of rubber the width of your finger all while dragging your knee puck for feel. Catching a tank slapper when you make a mistake and unload the suspension at speed. Getting on a bike and at the end of the day you have 800 more miles on the odometer than when you started. What I am really trying to get at is if you haven't really ever riden a bike, not comuted but really riden, then your opinion doesn't matter to me. I am not an elitist when refering to motorcycles, I just put myself in a position when riding to know as much as possible about the machine I am riding and what it can and can not do before I throw my leg over it, and risk my life with people texting while driving and playing with the radio yada yada yada they ain't paying attention. Splitting lanes is no more illegal than you driving 1 mile over the posted speed limit and everybody has done that so you are all dangerous LOL.

Amen! I drive cars like you ride bikes. Most of the "otherworlders" cannot comprehend the excitement and thrill of hitting your brake point, getting the vehicle to rotate and hit the apex JUST RIGHT and not requiring any steering correction on the way out.

I'm not a motorcycle rider but I absolutely adore the machines and give riders a wide berth.

Stay safe, brother!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom