What's your opinion of Bikers splitting traffic?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What do you think about Bikers who do this?

• Complete *******!

Votes: 35 32.7%
    • Whatever, indifferent…

Votes: 38 35.5%
    • Should be legally allowed to open car door and take them OUT!

Votes: 34 31.8%

• Total voters

headspace

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Hammond
    So you feel that this is more of a potential hazard than someone say opening a door? And I'm not being a wiseass here, I don't ride. I'm just curious.
    Firstly, if some ass-hat is gonna lanesplit in stopped traffic here, he'd better go it slow, and expect something like that to happen.
    And yes. I do know that the incidence of a car jumping to the shoulder in stopped traffic is more common than someone getting out of a car in same.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    i think it should be legal. i split if traffic is too heavy and i can do it at a stoppable speed.
    some people have tried to hit me intentionally. i’ve considered stopping and punching in their windows or mirrors for their attempt on my life.

So you admit to splitting traffic, but only at a speed in which you can stop.

Yet in the very next sentence also admit you’ve considered stopping and enacting some vengeance on the driver for their attempt on your life.

If you're unlawfully splitting traffic at a stoppable speed(in your opinion), how can hitting a car door be threatening your life?

a lot of people get so possessive over that piece of concrete on which they're parked. they don't want a bike "stealing" it and are willing to kill for it. people who bully a motorcyclist over a spot need to remember that they don't own that spot of the road and that rider may have a family. let the rider just pass. i mean would you really want to have a part in killing someone, taking a father from his kids, a husband from his wife just over a little road rage? just for a spot on the road? besides, it's not like a bike is going to slow a cager down; we'll be gone in seconds, literally. personally,

The amount of hypocrisy here is phenomenal.

Is it your piece of concrete to do with as you wish? You just claimed to treat it as you wish regardless of the law!

But be sure to get mad at someone else doing something just as unlawful as attempting to make you crash.
    Both of 'you'(per-say) stand the chance to cause harm to one another for being unlawful.

Difference could be, one is doing something unlawful already(Biker) and the other is attempting to stop someone doing something unlawful(the ******* Cager) although unlawful as well.

Last edited:

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    The most I'll do is bump up a few cars if I'm riding in a group and we get separated. Once I catch up we wait for the light like everybody else. If I'm stopped and traffic isn't moving I'll shut the bike off, put the stand down and wait.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    The most I'll do is bump up a few cars if I'm riding in a group and we get separated. Once I catch up we wait for the light like everybody else. If I'm stopped and traffic isn't moving I'll shut the bike off, put the stand down and wait.

I can respect that for sure. It's the same thoughts of most riders here in the office.

of course everyone of them is retired Military and they all have Cruiser/Choppers.

Which is a good point. I've never seen lane splitting by any bikers other than a Sport Bike(Crotch Rocket) :mamoru: Oh Lawd, here we go....

Trachito

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    NOLA metro
    So you admit to splitting traffic, but only at a speed in which you can stop.

Yet in the very next sentence also admit you’ve considered stopping and enacting some vengeance on the driver for their attempt on your life.

If you're unlawfully splitting traffic at a stoppable speed(in your opinion), how can hitting a car door be threatening your life?

The amount of hypocrisy here is phenomenal.

Is it your piece of concrete to do with as you wish? You just claimed to treat it as you wish regardless of the law!

But be sure to get mad at someone else doing something just as unlawful as attempting to make you crash.
    Both of 'you'(per-say) stand the chance to cause harm to one another for being unlawful.

Difference could be, one is doing something unlawful already(Biker) and the other is attempting to stop someone doing something unlawful(the ******* Cager) although unlawful as well.

your argument to me about whether it's right or wrong according to a traffic law is useless. to me some laws are unjust and if someone breaks them i don't care. i won't judge right or wrong over what I consider to be an wrongful or stupid law. IN MY OPINION, the lane splitting law is garbage and i wouldn't get upset if i saw a biker riding past me between lanes. and i sure as hell am not going to try to INTENTIONALLY hit him and potentially kill him. those are the people i'm complaining about. you honestly think a traffic violation should bring the death penalty? that's overkill, IMO, and i don't see anything hypocritical about being angry that someone tries to kill you ON PURPOSE because they want their spot at a red light.

if someone is just trying to stop me from lane splitting, i will not get mad. i've experienced that and i respect that. however, people have tried hitting me INTENTIONALLY with their cars.

i'm not treating concrete like it's mine. i'm just riding on it and past it. the end. getting from point A to point B. i'm not claiming it, and i won't kill anyone for it. i don't suffer from road rage. if someone wants a spot that bad they can have it.

Last edited:

Trachito

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    NOLA metro
    I can respect that for sure. It's the same thoughts of most riders here in the office.

of course everyone of them is retired Military and they all have Cruiser/Choppers.

Which is a good point. I've never seen lane splitting by any bikers other than a Sport Bike(Crotch Rocket) :mamoru: Oh Lawd, here we go....
    i have. older riders, younger riders, women riders, etc.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    your argument to me about whether it's right or wrong according to a traffic law is useless. to me some laws are unjust and if someone breaks them i don't care. i won't judge right or wrong over what I consider to be an wrongful or stupid law.

Your words not mine;

i can do it at a stoppable speed.
    some people have tried to hit me intentionally. i’ve considered stopping and punching in their windows or mirrors for their attempt on my life.

;)

you honestly think a traffic violation should bring the death penalty? that's overkill, IMO,

Don't put words in my mouth I haven't done that to you. ;)

and i don't see anything hypocritical about being angry that someone tries to kill you ON PURPOSE because they want their spot at a red light.

Here you go again. How can someone kill you at a red light when you're unlawfully lane splitting? Only possible if you were already planning on blowing the red light altogether and were traveling at a high rate of speed.

Last edited:

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I wish they wouldn't, but seeing as they have a lot more to lose doing it than myself....it's their asterisk.

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    I'm starting to change my mind on this topic. I've posted in the past where I feel motorcyclist should conform to the same road rules and limits that a 4 wheeled vehicle should. Meaning if there's a traffic jam, suck it up and wait like the rest of us. What the video showed me was done cautiously and respectfully with the exception of the end when traffic was starting to move and he did not move in line with the rest of the traffic.

I'm starting to understand that an idling motorcycle and cyclist in gear during the summer will cook like a baked potato and need to keep moving to stay cool.

So long as the law is written so that motorists are not at fault when said cyclist messes up and causes an accident that results in his injury and/or death and can be proven that the motorist was not trying to be a vigilante then go for it.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    I'm starting to understand that an idling motorcycle and cyclist in gear during the summer will cook like a baked potato and need to keep moving to stay cool.

Good point!

My only issue with this, is that it should be done on the curb/shoulder, not between vehicles.

Last edited:

gmshooter

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    328   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Gramercy La.
    I was traveling us 61 a while back. I see a bike coming up on side of me all of a sudden his mirror is touching my mirror. WTF!! wny not move over to the left side of the lane and pass! I so wanted to run his ass in the median!! as far as the lane splitters it is illegal and if they want to go around on the shoulder feel free but if they drive down the middle and they get checked it is on them.

Trachito

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    NOLA metro
    Your words not mine;

;)

Don't put words in my mouth I haven't done that to you. ;)

Here you go again. How can someone kill you at a red light when you're unlawfully lane splitting? Only possible if you were already planning on blowing the red light altogether and were traveling at a high rate of speed.

yes, i'll claim those words. unjust laws have been passed throughout time and people fought them, defied them, spat on the paper they were written on, etc. what's the big deal? laws are also lightly infractured by everyone. i'm sure even you have gone over the speed limit by 1mph, ran a yellow light, jay walked, littered. should you have been ticketed, jailed, killed?

it sounds like you think all rocket riders ride like crazy at high rates of speed, weaving in and out of traffic. there are points in between obeying the law and being a complete danger to everyone around you, you know. let me give you some visuals of said in-between cases. here's an example that happened to me at a red light:

i was at a red light light with cars in front. while waiting, i noticed the car to my left, but a few feet back, had a car in front of them but with a large enough gap that a bike could fit. so i switched lanes in between them and the car in front of them. at that point i was on the right part of the left lane. the car behind me then got mad that i moved into "her spot" and she pulled her car up next to me so closely that she almost ran over my left foot. that pissed me off. there was enough room for me to fit, just like if there were enough room for a car to fit, a car could have gotten in there. yet, since i was on a bike, she almost ran me over.

another example of a red light splitting incident: i was riding at less than 10 mph at a red light. a guy in a truck who had enough room between him and the car in front turned the wheel and gunned it so the front of his truck was within touching distance to me when i got by him. that was unnecessary.

if you're going to try to stop me, you can do it without killing me. don't wait until you're almost hitting me. i've seen other drivers creep in to stop me way ahead of time so i have some stopping room. that is reasonable, and i won't get mad at them. but if in a fit of rage you just come at me and try to hit me, that's overkill and an attempt on my life.

giving a quick stomp on your gas pedal to try and stop a bike while he's just feet from you isn't going to cause a mild, inconvenient fender bender like it would with cars. it can kill someone, and it's not worth the attempt. let them ride on. that's what i do when in my truck, whether it's a motorcyclist or an impatient driver.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    I was traveling us 61 a while back. I see a bike coming up on side of me all of a sudden his mirror is touching my mirror. WTF!! wny not move over to the left side of the lane and pass! I so wanted to run his ass in the median!! as far as the lane splitters it is illegal and if they want to go around on the shoulder feel free but if they drive down the middle and they get checked it is on them.

You know I see that a lot too on Hwy 10. A guy riding a Motorcycle in lane 1 and while passing opposite directions will NOT move over but will have his left handle bar right on if not over the yellow line.
    Not that it really bothers me but no need to take the risk IMO. I was a Lane 2 rider so it was no issue to me.

Trachito

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    NOLA metro
    Good point!

My only issue with this, is that it should be done on the curb/shoulder, not between vehicles.
    i prefer to do it on the shoulder as well but sometimes i'm afraid someone will try to pull over. i gauge it according to the conditions in front of me. people have weaved on me on the shoulder as well. some people just don't want anyone passing them.
    I'm starting to change my mind on this topic. I've posted in the past where I feel motorcyclist should conform to the same road rules and limits that a 4 wheeled vehicle should. Meaning if there's a traffic jam, suck it up and wait like the rest of us. What the video showed me was done cautiously and respectfully with the exception of the end when traffic was starting to move and he did not move in line with the rest of the traffic.

So long as the law is written so that motorists are not at fault when said cyclist messes up and causes an accident that results in his injury and/or death and can be proven that the motorist was not trying to be a vigilante then go for it.
    this is what i feel the law should be changed to. say the rider keeps it under 25 mph and it's during intense traffic. my bike gets hot some times under the summer sun. i've even told the people that my bike is overheating and they don't wanna hear it. they want me to just sit there and wait cuz they own that part of the road and don't want anyone passing them.

as stated before, sometimes people get pissed at that and try to weave onto the shoulder to try and block a bike. i don't have a problem with that but don't do it at the last second while stomping the gas pedal.

Last edited:

VeedUp

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Oct 15, 2007
    Destrehan, La.
    It is legal in California and drivers and motorcyclist know to expect it. I HATE being in a group of traffic on a bike, because at any given moment soccer mom on her cell phone will switch lanes without looking and kill me. I'll get to the front and then cruise.

This^^

I've had a mom in a van look straight at me and then pull out in front of me, most motor cyclist drive fast to stay away from the "cagers" you since your protected by a car you don't worry about the guy on the bike as much. Wish I could strap a bomb on my bike that way if you hit me with your car we all die! Maybe then some of you would pay attention and drift over in other lanes while on the phone do much.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles

Jar-Head!! you're so off far topic I don't even know where to start with all that. :eek3:

It's about lane splitting when traffic is barely moving or not at all or at a red light.

All that talk about switching lanes is completely unrelated to what this topic is about.

Going off topic is only going to be frustrating for everyone involved here,

stay 'In Lane'! not between the lines :p

Trachito

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    NOLA metro
    You know I see that a lot too on Hwy 10. A guy riding a Motorcycle in lane 1 and while passing opposite directions will NOT move over but will have his left handle bar right on if not over the yellow line.
    Not that it really bothers me but no need to take the risk IMO. I was a Lane 2 rider so it was no issue to me.
    what do you mean while passing opposite directions? i don't understand the whole scenario but sometimes i ride way on one side of a lane because i'm afraid of the car behind me hitting me or to give me room in case the car in front stomps his brakes for whatever reason. sometimes it looks like i'm almost on the middle of the 2 lanes or almost on the shoulder but i feel safer with the distance between the cars left and right of me than in front and behind.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    what do you mean while passing opposite directions?.

LanePosition.gif

Trachito

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    NOLA metro
    Jar-Head!! you're so off far topic I don't even know where to start with all that. :eek3:

It's about lane splitting when traffic is barely moving or not at all or at a red light.

All that talk about switching lanes is completely unrelated to what this topic is about.

Going off topic is only going to be frustrating for everyone involved here,

stay 'In Lane'! not between the lines :p
    i gave an example of riding between lanes at slow speed and someone trying to hit me. read. or maybe you don't care to because your mind is made up on the topic. you can stay stuck at the red light for all i care. i'll mozy on up to the front of the line.

Top Bottom