Crossfit

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    I'm not sure who the father of CrossFit is/was
    but I know that Ross Enamait was doing all sorts of Re-mixed HIIT
    for a good while before it exploded into what it is today.
    I think he could be a good candidate at least.

His book Never Gymless was written some time before YouTube got popular,
    and is an awesome addition to any fitness library. He's been putting vids on YouTube
    for at least 7 years now.

He was also having articles about BURPEES published on BB.com
    when most CrossFitters today were in High School, if not Junior High.

I think Ross played a big part in bridging the gap between
    Plyometrics, HIIT and lifting and throwing Anything Heavy!
    until it burns....and then just a little longer.
    Intensity was/is his #1 Goal in Fitness.
    No matter what you do, it's got to be INTENSE!(V02 Max ring a bell?)

What about Tony Horton? Dude was been owning the scene
    outside the Gym Arena for decades now.

Anyway, from what I see, CrossFitters have a great attitude
    and seem to be a lot more open group to challenges and change
    vs Meat Head Gym Rats who stick to their tried and true methods.

I got nothing against either.

Meat Head Gym Rats(The fathers of Fitness) have been doing in their Kitchens since the 70's
    what so-called Medical Professionals tell us today isn't possible or are just finding out is possible.
    Their work ethics and programs cannot be questioned.
    Their results speak for themselves.

Crossfitters are the universal, modern day Iron Men type.
    Eat better, toss weight, sweat a lot while lungs on fire, feel great.
    Their results speak for themselves.

Oddly enough though, the gap between fit and non-fit
    has never seem to be more wide than it is now.

At the same time as it seems that mankind has figured out exactly what it takes
    to be and maintain a fit body, there is a huge number of people who are not, do not and will not.
    ...and I for one don't think it's just about Will Power but I digress.

Reminds me of a brain meme I saw the other day.
    Basically the point was;
    How/Why does my brain show me an image of myself fit and send signals to my conscious side
    of what I want to look like with a strong desire to be that person,
    but then not allow me to be that person?

In simple terms, Why can I NOT be who I WANT to be!? :run: :mamoru:

Why/how does the brain stop us from doing it
    by overloading sensors that make certain people eat unhealthy foods
    when immediately after their brain then makes them feel guilty
    for eating the very food their brain told them to eat!?!?

Now a visual...
    Brain tells me to workout/eat healthy supper, so I do.
    Brain tells me to eat, but wait it's 10:00 p.m. ..... I should consume a protein shake or Big Glass of Water
    No, Brain tells me Frosted Flakes Better....just work harder tomorrow, maybe eat chips/salsa too.....
    Now Brain makes me feel horrible for eating Frosted Flakes and chips and salsa....
    Brain tells me I'm a failure, now just go to sleep and try again tomorrow.

Why does the brain torture? :dogkeke:

Anyway I find it incredibly interesting just how powerful the mind is
    and how much it has to do with our actions.

Most are in the same boat when it comes to mind power.
    It's a complete PITA to get our mind over the hill,
    but once over it's full steam ahead.

Reminds me of a quote from Dr. Robert Jeffress
    who is actually a Baptist Minister in Dallas.
    "You are more likely to act yourself into a feeling,
    than feel yourself into an action".

Sometimes you have to STOP thinking
    and Just Do-It! ...thanks Nike....

THAT is where I think Cross-Fit has blessed the Fitness World.

No need for spread-sheets and huge diet logs,(nothing wrong with that) :D
    just lift something, jump something, toss something until you're on fire
    ...then go a little bit farther, compare with friends, then see ya tomorrow.

Welcome to Cross Fit.
    pardon.gif

Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    My Dad and I are going tour it right now :)

--Sent From My Galaxy S4

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    reply to hitman without autoreply a textwall:

In my professional experience, people that can't go from fat to fit simply don't want to. I've done hundreds and hundreds (possibly thousands) of fitness consultations as a trainer, until I moved onto teaching trainers how to "sell". The truth is that you've got to make them cry. Over and over. The only universal motivator for action is pain. Until the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, you'll fail.

The people that say "I'm not giving up drinking/cookies/pizza. I want to live my life" are doomed. My switch at that point is "Look, you don't need a trainer. You need to learn to accept your body for what it is. Being fit isn't for everyone, and I don't think its for you either."

Conversely, the people I ask "Okay, so why are we doing this?" that say something emotionally powerful (see below) ALWAYS smash their results out of the park. When they get weak/sloppy/lose focus, I respond with their reason for starting this. sometimes it really hurts their feelings, but it always fetches the results they want eventually.

1 "I was referred from doctor JohnDoe and he said if I don't lose 180lbs I won't survive my surgery in november." - 34yr old father
    2 "I feel ashamed that my husband has to sleep next to me. I want to be a sexy young wife."- 24yr old newlywed.
    3 "I get embarrassed when my friends invite me to the beach. " - 20yr old guy
    4 "The coach said I'm too fat to tryout for sports." - a 16yr old student.

Client 2 stopped half-way through her set and I'd say "we aren't getting to victoria's secret like this. step it up" She'd bang out 3 more sets.
    Client 4 would ask if he can order pizza. "sure can. just ask them to bring you a football jersey too cause thats the only way you'll get one." He responded "how much cardio for one slice?" "an hour" "not worth. ill eat salad."
    Client 3 would say "man i dont feel like working out today" and I'd say "go buy a sweater for your trip to destin- you'll need it."

Client 1 started to say "I don't know if I can afford this." My response: "How much is your kids visiting your grave on Christmas morning?" "What kind of guy will your wife re-marry?" Yeah, its harsh. Yeah, I made them cry. I'm okay with being a total bastard if it means changing their lives (or saving them).

Pain gets results guys. Our society "wants to be fit", but its just words. You know who WANTS to be fit? The guy that weighs every ingredient before cooking every meal. The person that has a log of everything they've eaten for the last 6 months. The lady that has a photograph of herself (losing weight every week) for the last 9 months on her fridge to remind her what she's working for.

You know who wants to be fit? Fit people- and they'll find a way. There is no "right" program. There are successful programs, and unsuccessful programs. Did crossfit/planetfitness/homeworkout/a running log work for you? Congrats. You found A path. It doesn't mean that its THE path. It's only proof that there are thousands of paths, and all you have to do is stick to any one of them long enough to get to your destination.

- This post from a 280lb 34% body fat manager at walmart that became a 180lb 9% body fat personal trainer over 2 years.
    I've been there- and yes, I have my emotional motivator as well. Find yours, then get your ass to the gym. :)

Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    reply to hitman without autoreply a textwall:

In my professional experience, people that can't go from fat to fit simply don't want to. I've done hundreds and hundreds (possibly thousands) of fitness consultations as a trainer, until I moved onto teaching trainers how to "sell". The truth is that you've got to make them cry. Over and over. The only universal motivator for action is pain. Until the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, you'll fail.

The people that say "I'm not giving up drinking/cookies/pizza. I want to live my life" are doomed. My switch at that point is "Look, you don't need a trainer. You need to learn to accept your body for what it is. Being fit isn't for everyone, and I don't think its for you either."

Conversely, the people I ask "Okay, so why are we doing this?" that say something emotionally powerful (see below) ALWAYS smash their results out of the park. When they get weak/sloppy/lose focus, I respond with their reason for starting this. sometimes it really hurts their feelings, but it always fetches the results they want eventually.

1 "I was referred from doctor JohnDoe and he said if I don't lose 180lbs I won't survive my surgery in november." - 34yr old father
    2 "I feel ashamed that my husband has to sleep next to me. I want to be a sexy young wife."- 24yr old newlywed.
    4 "The coach said I'm too fat to tryout for sports." - a 14yr old student.

Client 2 stopped half-way through her set and I'd say "we aren't getting to victoria's secret like this. step it up" She'd bang out 3 more sets.
    Client 4 would ask if he can order pizza. "sure can. just ask them to bring you a football jersey too cause thats the only way you'll get one." He responded "how much cardio for one slice?" "an hour" "not worth. ill eat salad."
    Client 3 would say "man i dont feel like working out today" and I'd say "go buy a sweater for your trip to destin- you'll need it."

Client 1 started to say "I don't know if I can afford this." My response: "How much is your kids visiting your grave on Christmas morning?" "What kind of guy will your wife re-marry?" Yeah, its harsh. Yeah, I made them cry. I'm okay with being a total bastard if it means changing their lives (or saving them).

Pain gets results guys. Our society "wants to be fit", but its just words. You know who WANTS to be fit? The guy that weighs every ingredient before cooking every meal. The person that has a log of everything they've eaten for the last 6 months. The lady that has a photograph of herself (losing weight every week) for the last 9 months on her fridge to remind her what she's working for.

You know who wants to be fit? Fit people- and they'll find a way. There is no "right" program. There are successful programs, and unsuccessful programs. Did crossfit/planetfitness/homeworkout/a running log work for you? Congrats. You found A path. It doesn't mean that its THE path. It's only proof that there are thousands of paths, and all you have to do is stick to any one of them long enough to get to your destination.
    Well. That is blunt and to the point. I agree with it. Sometimes you have to be an ass.

So - I toured Planet Fitness. LOLOLOLOLOL is my response. My dad might sign up though just for a place to workout at out of home. No chance for me. They only have one pullup bar and its one of those annoying cheater helper pullup things. Heaviest dumbbells are 85 pounds though. Oh, and it's not actually $10 a month. There a bunch of other fees that they just so happen to include as well. No thanks!

Edit: And I forgot to mention...I walked in and was the most athletic looking person in the entire building. The guy giving the tour even commented that I look like I know my way around a gym. He didn't even know what half of the machines are for. Urgh. People. They had two or three out of the 100+ people in there that looked like they have worked out before. The majority of the people were slowly moving on threadmills or the easier alternatives. Pathetic. I get more of a workout from drinking a cup of coffee while driving...

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Well. That is blunt and to the point. I agree with it. Sometimes you have to be an ass.

So - I toured Planet Fitness. LOLOLOLOLOL is my response. My dad might sign up though just for a place to workout at out of home. No chance for me. They only have one pullup bar and its one of those annoying cheater helper pullup things. Heaviest dumbbells are 85 pounds though. Oh, and it's not actually $10 a month. There a bunch of other fees that they just so happen to include as well. No thanks!

Edit: And I forgot to mention...I walked in and was the most athletic looking person in the entire building. The guy giving the tour even commented that I look like I know my way around a gym. He didn't even know what half of the machines are for. Urgh. People. They had two or three out of the 100+ people in there that looked like they have worked out before. The majority of the people were slowly moving on threadmills or the easier alternatives. Pathetic. I get more of a workout from drinking a cup of coffee while driving...

yeah that place just isn't for me, at all, ever. its a gym that sells itself on not being about fitness. kind of like a company making a sports car and saying "we only do electric here. nothing over 50hp allowed"

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    yeah that place just isn't for me, at all, ever. its a gym that sells itself on not being about fitness. kind of like a company making a sports car and saying "we only do electric here. nothing over 50hp allowed"

I don't know about not being about fitness. But it was pretty pathetic. It is a great idea for people who want to be in what most people refer to as "shape". It is not for someone who wants to be an "athlete" or more though.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I don't know about not being about fitness. But it was pretty pathetic. It is a great idea for people who want to be in what most people refer to as "shape". It is not for someone who wants to be an "athlete" or more though.

i'll say its good for the elderly or those with social anxiety. If I go any further I'd have to fear the post being seen by anyone that knows me irl.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    i'll say its good for the elderly or those with social anxiety. If I go any further I'd have to fear the post being seen by anyone that knows me irl.

HAHA! The people there were kinda scary too :P I bet they have a no gun policy there as well. I didn't look at the door though!

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    since I was asked twice already:

4 "The coach said I'm too fat to tryout for sports." - a 16yr old student.

1: lost 84lbs by nov, and another 40 by his rescheduled surgery in March. He survived and still lives in lafayette. (and runs 5k's for fun)
    2: she finished her program went from 189 to 134, and her husband is a lucky guy. Girls a total 10.
    3: goes to beach often, has a tattoo on his chest that he loves to show off...even during winter.
    4: played varsity football that fall with no prior football experience. is now serving in the US Navy and said "basic was a breeze".

*had 4's age incorrect. it was his brother that trained at 14, he was 16

Last edited:

JHenley17

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Prairieville
    I've been there a few months, canceling next month. Headphones in, can't hear their stupid ads, so it's not too bad, and actually a few very fit people in there, but the only free weights are the dumbbells (up to 70 pounds in Gonzales) and I want to jump up and rip it down every time that stupid alarm goes off. I can never even figure out who might be offending it. I'm just gonna come off a few more dollars and go to Anytime.

nomadicdread

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Seattle
    Madwabbit is right.
    Years ago, a woman I was dating told me, "I haven't wanted to sleep with you because you've been gaining weight." We broke up the next week and I lost 30 pounds in three months. Never saw a gym, never lifted free weights. I started out huffing and puffing my way through an 1/8 of a mile and body weight exercises. Eventually my running distance increased, never more than 2 miles. I changed my diet, wasn't drinking back then and I always planned to eat dinner before 9pm.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I've been there a few months, canceling next month. Headphones in, can't hear their stupid ads, so it's not too bad, and actually a few very fit people in there, but the only free weights are the dumbbells (up to 70 pounds in Gonzales) and I want to jump up and rip it down every time that stupid alarm goes off. I can never even figure out who might be offending it. I'm just gonna come off a few more dollars and go to Anytime.

is it just the employees that ring the thing, or do the patrons do it as well?

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Madwabbit is right.
    Years ago, a woman I was dating told me, "I haven't wanted to sleep with you because you've been gaining weight." We broke up the next week and I lost 30 pounds in three months. Never saw a gym, never lifted free weights. I started out huffing and puffing my way through an 1/8 of a mile and body weight exercises. Eventually my running distance increased, never more than 2 miles. I changed my diet, wasn't drinking back then and I always planned to eat dinner before 9pm.

Nice job man!

nomadicdread

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Seattle
    Thanks. No sex and listening to her BS was all the motivation I needed. Instead of saying "hey, babe. Wanna try the oatmeal I made? I'll make a fruit salad for dessert" You see where I'm going.

I go to a gym now. 8 years later and a mostly desk job for the past year and half, I'm at 195lbs instead of 175lbs, at 33y/o. I'm just fine with that and my heart belongs to the squat rack. She puts up with my BS whenever I'm in need.

ericlosh

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    Slidell LA

Id automoatically think less of you even without meeting you.

Like you said, its a gym for people that dont really want to go to the gym. So you can post about it on facebook for cheap.

ericlosh

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    Slidell LA
    If you're talking about cross gates I'd get on their coach page for the CrossFit folks and call the first coach listed, she should be able to at least give you an answer if not work something out for you. If that's not the place it might be worth looking at for you.
    Yep, its crossgates. I directly messaged Jeanie on facebook. At the same time, i try to keep a $20 dollar cap on my cafe expenses a month, smoothie or some dishes on their super health menu

Top Bottom